Modem DG834GT does not work

John Ross 12:53 20 Jun 09

I have had a DG834GT router modem for years. Have just been given a secondjand one that appears the same. I was trying to set up the second one, first by updating firmware to v1.2.19, then entering the same configuration as the old router (first manually, then using the backup config file from the previous router.
The wireless and LAN seem to work OK, but I can't get an ADSL connection. I am with BTbroadband (with dynamic IP address I believe) that has been pretty relaible, and it works when I go back to the old modem/router.
In the new router no IP address is allocated, and when using the wizard, it can't find an ADSL connection.
I wondered if the different MAC addresses of the 2 routers may be causing a problem, but this firmware update does not seem to allow MAC spoofing : please correct if thei is wrong. If MAC spoofing were to be the solution, would I get this with 3rd party firmware?
Or is the "new" router bust?
Any thoughts and ideas gratefully received!

ashleycardwell94 23:54 09 Sep 09

is the firmware on both routers the same?

John Ross 09:06 10 Sep 09

Yes, I updated the firmware to the latest on the 2new" router as soon as I got it : fooloshly, beofre finding out if it worked or not!
Does BT need to do something to maintain a broadband connection if you change your router and therefore MAC address?
Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced