Modem connections

geedad 10:49 07 Sep 03

I have a new motherboard wth 2 sockets at rear for PHONE and LINE. ( I am on Broadband separately )
I am trying to use fax software, and the phone I have has the standard BT input and can't be plugged directly into the modem socket. Is it possible to swap the existing lead for an RJ11 Modem ( double-ended )lead to connect to the phone and the modem?
Is this the way that the LINE and PHONE leads are normally connected?
I am asking this because my software cannot find the modem connection.
On my old system I only had 1 RJ11 socket, now life has become more complicated because I have upgraded!
geedad

seedie 10:57 07 Sep 03

You can get an adaptor for the phone and a new lead with the BT plug on one end and the modem plug on t'other for the line.

CD

geedad 12:33 07 Sep 03

Thanks, seedie
Will try
geedad

geedad 21:40 07 Sep 03

seedie
No connection yet! placed ADSL filter in BT socket on wall - one lead to telephone, the other to 'PHONE' input on one of the sockets on the card. ( also tried 'LINE' socket )
To no avail.
How do I get the 'LINE' and 'PHONE' sockets connected?

geedad 21:36 08 Sep 03

Anybody help with this one.please?
geedad

Switcher 21:49 08 Sep 03

The Line socket is for input from BT

The Phone Socket is for connecting a Phone

The BT connection from the filter should go to the line socket at back of PC

graham√ 21:57 08 Sep 03

Can you confirm the new motherboard has a modem on it? Make and model of mobo, please.

geedad 22:16 08 Sep 03

graham
Intel 1.7 Celeron Platinix 2E -6A V2.0, based on Intel 845E chipset, 4 socket 478 processor.
Internal Modem:- M156COM/M156AMB
geedad

graham√ 22:28 08 Sep 03

So the modem is seperate, not on the mobo?

Switcher 22:31 08 Sep 03

The software should be able to detect the modem whether or not it is connected to the telephone socket. What is the operating system

geedad 22:36 08 Sep 03

graham
I do believe that the modem is part and parcel of the motherboard.
Switcher
OS = Windows 98 SE
geedad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…