modem configuration

nilo 15:11 29 Sep 03

Please help.
I have already installed my modem and the system (XP Pro) does recognize it as stated in the hardware profiles. But every time I try to re-set up my ISP, I receive an error stating I must configure my modem. I have tried re-establishing through the modem section in the Control Panel without success. What am I missing?
Thank you,
Nilo

woodchip 15:17 29 Sep 03

The modem may not be on the right IRQ or PORT they are the main two things from stopping it working

woodchip 15:19 29 Sep 03

PS internal modem normally on port 1 or 3 external on port 2 IRQ may be any of the low IRQ's 3 to about 7

nilo 16:20 29 Sep 03

woodchip:
thanks. Can I go to the website to get the IRQ?

Stuartli 16:40 29 Sep 03

If you go into Device Manager>highlight your modem>Properties you will be able to check which Comm port is being used and whether there are any IRQ conflicts.

You can also check that the modem is operating properly through the Details link from Properties.

Windows should automatically assign IRQs as they are required.

Stuartli 16:41 29 Sep 03

By the way IRQs are part of the Windows operating system - nothing to do with getting them from websites or anywhere else for that matter...:-)

nilo 18:39 29 Sep 03

Many thanks,Stuartli

nilo 13:21 06 Oct 03

Woodchip and stuartli were very helpful and I followed their instructions, but my machine says there is no modem configured!! I installed a new modem with new software which was included with the new modem without success of connecting on line. Please advise. Thanks

woodchip 14:54 06 Oct 03

In the instructions what port does it say that it should be on

DieSse 15:40 06 Oct 03

Is there a modem in the hardware list, without any warning or other symbols to indicate it isn't installed correctly?

What happens if you run the system modem test (Control panel - Phone&Modem Options - Modem - Properties - Diagnostics - Query Modem)?

nilo 19:04 06 Oct 03

DieSse:
I did that; the PC did recognize the modem and it is working and I did not check the instructions for the correct port.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…