Modem and Com3

281apple 07:36 21 Nov 05

Problem : Three days ago I tried to connect with Internet and I heard the modem working but then there was a message saying that « Your modem is not working or you have a configuration problem. » After having looked everywhere for the answer I finally found that the Com3 that I had been using had disappeared and no other Com was indicated. Impossible therefore to connect with Internet. I bought a PMCIA modem, configured it and changed the Port configuration and it worked.

My question : Can anyone explain what happened to my Com3 and is there any way to reinstall it so that the internal modem which works can connect me with Internet ?

DieSse 11:02 21 Nov 05

Com3 is not an physical Com port - it's part of the modem. The modem drivers install Com3 in the first place, along with the rest of the modem software.

So try re-installing the modem software.

281apple 18:52 21 Nov 05

Thanks but I have no software for the modem as it is included on the Mother Card and with XP.
I reinstalled Windows three times but after each time there was no Com3, nor Com1, nor Com2 indicated. A buddy of mine thought that there must have been an electrical problem. Got any other ideas? Thanks again.

Stuartli 19:07 21 Nov 05

Windows will move on to the next Comm port number if one is deleted for any reason.

Check out Ports in Device Manager; from a port's Properties>Port Settings>Advanced button you can call up a menu of port numbers.

Stuartli 19:08 21 Nov 05

Try Removing the modem, rebooting and let Windows Find New Hardware.

woodchip 19:46 21 Nov 05

If you run System Restore it should put it back. You need to Restore to a older Date. Your system looks like it got corrupted by loading uninstalling software or a Crash

Stuartli 19:52 21 Nov 05

But if Windows has been reinstalled three times there will be no System Restore points.

woodchip 19:54 21 Nov 05

Not seen that

woodchip 19:56 21 Nov 05

Check the BIOS as got Com ports turned on

woodchip 19:59 21 Nov 05

PS if you have a physical Com port then the IRQ etc is already configured for that port. Com 1 and 3 are basically the same ports, as are 2 and 4

woodchip 20:03 21 Nov 05

PS the driver does not contain the Com port it activates the Com port in the computer. It discovers it when it's loaded. AS not all Com port are Plug and Play until the driver is loaded. So you do need the Motherboard Drivers for a Laptop as you said you loaded a Laptop card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…