A modem is bugging me.

The Dazza 14:41 24 Dec 04

I have recently installed Win200 os and office xp on a friends pc, however, I can't get onto the internet. In device manager it says the modem is in port3 & "the device is working properly". When I look in "dial-up connection properties" it says "connect using: Modem-Unavailable device (com1)" & I can't change this if I select "make new connection". When I right click dial up "connection" the "connect" is greyed out. Anyone know how I can connect to the internet?

woodchip 14:57 24 Dec 04

You will have to remove the modem from Control Panel, then use the Add New Hardware wizard choose not to scan for hardware choose from list it should allow you to choose the port

The Dazza 15:40 24 Dec 04

Tried that and it didn't seem to work. When I try "internet connection wizard" it says "Cannot create a new dial up networking connection for your internet service provider. Try creating a connection by double clicking dial up networking in my computer". I have a yellow ! next to USB controllers, is this related?

ACOLYTE 15:44 24 Dec 04

If this is an internal modem the option to change ports should be with the modem software,not sure if you can alter it after install ,but you should be able to change it during install.If its an external USB modem then yes the usb error may be a problem make sure the usb drivers are installed and dont connect the modem till the set up says so.

Belatucadrus 15:58 24 Dec 04

Check the modem is using the correct drivers, I had a similar problem with a Creatix modem after a recent XP format. Windows picked up the modem and allocated a driver, It showed up in device manager as working OK. Only problem was it didn't and refused to work properly until I'd followed the manual route using device installer and added the drivers from a floppy.

The Dazza 10:44 27 Dec 04

I've come to the conclusion that the mobo is defaulting to com1 which is an old fashioned com port (not like Pci). When trying to install the manufacturers driver says "2312 - cannot find comm port". I've got the feeling the mobo is knackered, can anyone advise?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…