modem

digitaldilema 20:12 26 Jun 03

Can a modem be fitted and set up to work on a 486 PC running win 98. If so can anyone suggest a good one.

graham√ 20:21 26 Jun 03

'Please ensure that your thread title accurately describes your subject'

malarky 20:27 26 Jun 03

I had a modem running with Win 95 OSR2 (which is pretty much Win 98) on a 486. I would think that the best bet would be to buy a HARDWARE MODEM (US Robotics are supposed to be good)so that you don't use up all your system RAM. But I'm no expert.

peeby 20:31 26 Jun 03

Just last weekend somebody gave me a free Dell 466i with 8ram and 250meg HD with Win 95 and coincidently someone also gave me a Pace 56k serial modem to try and help me get my Linux to talk to the world> No luck with linux yet, but it worked out of the box with Win 95, just selecting the COM 1 port ( There was no internal modem) The speed was slo-o-o-o-oh-oh, which in my humble opinion was down to CPU,no graphic card I think.
Amazon or Komplett have a Creative Serial modemblaster for about 40 Euros,but try and borrow one first to see if you can stand "Max Super Warp Speed of page build
Regards
Martin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…