Modem

woodchip 22:21 10 May 03

Why is it that my modem cannot properly find my ISP if I disconnect then reconnect to Dial-up? Win98se on NTLworld with external Dynamode 90v modem. I have to switch computer off completely and restart to get a good connection. Just restart and switching modem of is not good enough. It will connect to ISP but browser as problems communicating with ISP on Different browsers it's the same

The PC Doctor 22:27 10 May 03

have a look at your modem manual for the release codes and add them to the dailing properties.

Once had to do this just to get a modem to connect - might be worth a try....

woodchip 22:34 10 May 03

What does it do? I have loaded the correct Init file from the inf file. It's as if windows goes to sleep on my modem. It starts to work if I click, click, click, on too TV's in task bar, but it's tiring

woodchip 22:36 10 May 03

PS I have even reinstalled TCP/IP to no affect. Also made new ISP connection

woodchip 23:07 10 May 03

up

The PC Doctor 23:13 10 May 03

Sorry woodchip been off elseware....

If you look in your modem manual it will give you some ascii or hex codes you can manually send to your modem to pre-set it up before dialing.

One I seem to remember is M:0 or was it H:0 to switch off the dialing screech (Volume) for example....

If you can find them then try using the modem reset codes so that each time your system uses the modem to dial up it resets before starting the process.

woodchip 23:25 10 May 03

Would it not do the same just switching the modem of? As it as a button on top. or would it reset windows in some way

woodchip 23:29 10 May 03

PS manual that I got was not much to shout about, also tried to find it yesterday!!!!!

The PC Doctor 23:39 10 May 03

I've got a modem manual somewhere - I'll try to find it...

It's basically the same as switching the modem off and back on again but will also re-set the protocols the modem uses to talk to the net.

Just a thought but have a look at my NTL connection page click here at the bottom of the page you will see some connection settings. Try setting your up the same and see if that helps..

The PC Doctor 23:52 10 May 03

Can't find my modem manual but found this page on the Internet...click here

The PC Doctor 00:05 11 May 03

I've also found click here which looks quite a good site for setting up of modems.

It also has the latest drivers for yours.

The command string I was thinking of is Z0 which will reset your modem back to factory defaults before dialing.

Have a look through this site and try different settings under advanced 1st though - something may just help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…