Modem

Digit 18:37 03 Jul 05

Is my modem OK as I am thinking of going onto Broadband.

These are the figures that are quoted below from supplier.
Download speed 512k Upload speed 256k Contention ratio
50:1 Unlimited Usage No download limits.

I have a 56.6v 92 modem and I am not sure what I need.

D

For broadband you will need a router, usually supplied by the broadband supplier when you sign up.

Totally-braindead 18:48 03 Jul 05

[email protected]@ is absolutly correct Digit broadband routers are totally different to modems and as said most companies supply them for free when you sign up for a year. The thing you need is a spare USB port as this is what they tend to supply however if you don't have a spare one it fairly easy to add more or to buy an internal router. Apart from that the only thing else you really need to know is, is your PC fast enough to run a router. The recommended minimum spec for Wanadoo for example is

What are the minimum computer specifications?

PC

Pentium 200Mhz

32MB RAM

16-bit sound card

Four-speed CD-ROM player

Video card/display 800 x 600, 256 colours

150MB free on hard drive

Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000 Professional or XP

A USB port

Digit 18:51 03 Jul 05

Just read the thread about Tiscali for £15 sounds better than the one I was thinking of.
Which was JJtek Online that was 19 99 per month.

Digit 18:52 03 Jul 05

Just read the thread about Tiscali for £15 sounds better than the one I was thinking of.

Digit 18:52 03 Jul 05

Totally-braindead 18:55 03 Jul 05

Have a look here click here Digit and its also worth a look at this months PC Advisor magazine.

dangerusone 18:56 03 Jul 05

I've been on Tiscali £15/month for a year, with free modem and very easy to set up. Also no problems

Digit 18:59 03 Jul 05

sorry about that.
Could I down load music with what I have.

I do have a spare port and my Pc is ok for the rest of the spec.

Kate B 19:03 03 Jul 05

Digit, yes, you will be able to but if you're going down the P2P route for it you'll need to be vigilant about your firewall, AV and anti-crudware software. In fact with broadband you'll need to be pretty vigilant about all that stuff anyway.

Digit 19:07 03 Jul 05

Ok thanks for the input will take care.

Digit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…