//some 3rd party need geo

mobo upgrade - once booted keyboard/mouse dead

SHARON B 21:24 15 May 04

i have finally taken the plunge & upgraded my system - with
abit kv7 m/b 512 ddr, amd athlon xp 2600 cpu
everything went together ok - i have put in the hdd - the one i had prev with xp home
the pc boots up fine - 1 beep & everything is ok - but once it is booted i get to the password screen for me on xp & neither keyboard nor mouse will work (the keyboard does work when in bios menu) - i know they are not faulty either. any ideas folks ?

woodchip 21:43 15 May 04

check you have keyboard and Mouse in the correct port if they are PS/2

Eric10 21:43 15 May 04

Probably a driver problem. You can't usually just put in a hard drive that has been running with a different motherboard and expect it to sort out its drivers. A clean install is the best way to procede. If you have data on the drive that you can't afford to lose I would buy a new hard drive and install Windows onto that. You can then connect your existing drive as a slave and copy the data from it. Once the data is safe you can format this drive and use it for storing data and backups.

The only other thing I can think of is to try and boot into Safe Mode (press F8 as the PC boots up). If the mouse and keyboard now work you could try to uninstall motherboard drivers etc and let Windows find the new hardware as it reboots.

SHARON B 21:53 15 May 04

eric10
thanks, i did wonder that , but i really didnt think it would matter (this upgrade is v ambitious for me!)
i have a new hard drive still boxed up, so i will try your advice & post back

SHARON B 10:23 16 May 04

thank you eric10, i put the new disk in & everything is fine - that'll serve me right for trying to cut corners !

i feel another thread coming on , cos my xp has already been activated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…