//some 3rd party need geo

MoBo install hints wanted

Inverjazz 11:34 02 Apr 03

I'm about to fit a new mother board. Essential files have been backed up OK but what I want to avoid is having to do a complete re-installation of the OS and applications. What steps should I take to make sure this doesn't happen?

Stalker 12:51 02 Apr 03

It depends what type of mainboard you are fitting, what was in there before and what os you are running.

Its always best to do a reload after installing a new mainboard but i know from experience its not always as easy, and a work around is best

Stalker

Eagie 12:56 02 Apr 03

Windows XP is licensed to the machine not the the user and changing your mobo is regarded as creating a new machine.

If your OS came with your machine upgrading your mobo may mean you will have buy the OS again.

Stalker 13:13 02 Apr 03

No it doesnt you will have to register it again.

If you explain to MS what has happened they will be able to allow you to re-activate!

What happens if you buy a system with a Asus A7v266 then Asus decide not to make these boards any more and yours fails, what do you do then buy windows xp again and the new mainboard, i think not!

It is simply registered to the machine not licenced!

Stalker

Stalker 13:23 02 Apr 03

When i say register i mean activate.

Stalker

Paranoid Android 13:38 02 Apr 03

I always recommend a complete re-format and re-install when fitting a new mobo. It usually goes wrong otherwise, although often not straight away.

Marvin.

Eagie 13:49 02 Apr 03

Check my other thread - in particluar my first posting and FE's input. I have just changed Mobo and this info is from Microsoft directly. I am not saying it applies in every case in my particular case I have been told that upgrading my Mobo has invalidate my EULA.

click here

Inverjazz 13:54 02 Apr 03

Sorry, should have mentioned the OS is Win98SE, so there's no activation problems. I shall go ahead in the hopes a complete reinstallation won't be necessary. It's from Gigabyte to Asus.

DieSse 13:59 02 Apr 03

It all boils down to what type of copy of Win XP you have. If you have the WinXP CD (the OEM or the Retail version), you can be sure that you can re-activate it after changing a motherboard (or anything else) - I have done so a number of times. If you have a pre-installed copy with a recovery CD - this is a different type of license, with different conditions.

Inverjazz - you are much better off doing a complete, clean, re-install. I have done it both ways for clients, and wherever possible do a clean re-install, as they always work have less on-going problems.

Eagie 14:06 02 Apr 03

I didn't mean to take your thread away from your initial question. I hope it all goes well.

James

Inverjazz 09:43 03 Apr 03

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll report back when the installation is complete.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…