Mobo can't recognise HDDs loaded with XP Pro

cyberphobic 19:59 30 Sep 04

I have built a PC from leftover bits and pieces (1.4Athlon, PC Chips M810mobo,256MBSDRAM). I have 2 HDDs which I had previously loaded with XP Pro using another PC with a PC Chips M810 mobo (although possibly an earlier version). I hoped that the PC would boot from either of these HDDs but no such luck. Windows will not start, I get the "Windows has failed to start properly" screen but whichever option I choose it won't load. I have promised my father in law that he can loan this machine this weekend for a while so I can fix his PC but time is getting a bit tight! What do I need to do to get this PC to recognise XP on the HDD?

bremner 20:31 30 Sep 04

XP can and often does refuse to boot when the hard drive it is installed on is moved to another motherboard.

I had this problem and despite trying numerous solutions i was forced to reformat and reinstall. Ironically this was probably the best thing as I started a new machine with a clean install (never a bad thing).

What can you try.

Boot the machine with the XP CD in the drive and when it boots choose the recovery option.

If this does not work you can try to reinstall XP over itself.

Have a look at this http: // support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341&Product=winxp take the spaces out each side of the //

THE TERMINATOR 20:54 30 Sep 04

Does the pc recognise the hard drive(s)? Is this the reason it will not boot? Can you go into BIOS and change the hard drive(s) settings to AUTO, if the other pc booted from this disk then there is no reason why another one won't....TT

cyberphobic 22:01 30 Sep 04

Thanks for your responses - THE TERMINATOR -the PC does recognise the HDD, settings are set to Auto, I don't understans why the PC doesn't boot from the disk but it doesn't!!
Bremner - thanks for your response (by the way, I remember that you helped me with a problem a couple of years ago!)for some reason I can't load windows on to the HDD with this PC. It goes into Windows setup, loads files but then freezes at "Setup is loading Windows" (this is the same CD which I have used twice today to load XP with no problems and a HDD which I loaded XP on to today with no problems!)So is it a problem with the mobo? this doesn't make any sense to me at all.

cyberphobic 23:23 30 Sep 04

refresh

pc moron 23:37 30 Sep 04

You could try steps 3 to 7 at click here

cyberphobic 09:04 01 Oct 04

Thanks for that, will check it out later. To change the emphasis of this posting slightly, why can't I load windows when I am using a copy of XP which I know is OK and a HDD which I know is OK?.It always freezes.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:53 01 Oct 04

XP freezing at LOGO with blue bars?

XP is loading drivers at this point if you have taken HDD from another PC then the drivers being loaded are wrong for your MOBO/ G.card /midem etc. This is why the freeze

Solution --- boot to safe mode if possible and in device manager unistall everything. Reboot and let XP find new hardware and install the correct drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…