Mobo advice or scanner isa/scsi help

squ1rrel 21:20 02 Jan 03
  squ1rrel 21:20 02 Jan 03

Greetings! I'm about to upgrade my Dad's PC to something better than his 166MHz Cyrix box. I'm looking at something like a Gigabyte GA-7DXE mobo with Duron/Athlon. The one complication is his scanner.

The scanner is a Optrox PhotoMaker 3F, which comes with a custom ISA card. None of the low-cost mobo on dabs have ISA - all are only PCI (at least, the ones I checked).

I think these custom ISA cards are a form of SCSI, but I don't know for sure. The card is marked CARD2-X5 03V0 with a 25pin male. Inside the scanner it connects to a card marked MF10A-X4 with 25 pin female. Note too the scanner is powered through this connection - there is no external power connector.

So I'm looking for either
a) recommendation of low-cost current mobo with ISA slots or
b) a PCI equivalent of the custom ISA card.

thanks!

Why Am I Here? 00:40 03 Jan 03

The card is either ISA or PCI - the SCSI is just the interface that the scanner uses. If ISA your selections are limited (and possibly nonexistant) but you can buy inexpensive PCI SCSI cards (eg Adaptec 2904) so that widens your choice. I don't think that the card would be a custom SCSI and the Adaptec will suit you fine.

DieSse 01:20 03 Jan 03

I've just done something similar - upgraded to a m/board with no ISA slot for my scanner SCSI card.

So do what I did - buy a new USB scanner. I got a cheapish HP 2300C, which has simliar specs to your OPtrox (I looked at the manual), and immeasurably better software.

Probably as cheap, or cheaper than buying a SCSI card, which may or may not work with your scanner, and will probably give you unending grief in finding drivers that work with a non-standard configuration.

As a bonus you can sell the Optrox along with your old system and recoup a bit more dosh.

Quiller. 01:44 03 Jan 03

I think DieSse option is a good one to go for.

If you are desparate for a motherboard with an isa slot. I seem to think the abit k7 or k7 raid came with one.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…