Mobile Phone/Laptop/Dial up/GPRS ??

Sir Radfordin 11:02 22 May 04

Have set up a bluetooth-enabled laptop to communicate with a Nokia 6310i for someone so they can collect/send emails. This is currently done using a dial-up connection to a normal ISP so is painfully slow and no good for large attachments.

Someone has said to the user they should think about using GPRS instead.

What difference will this make - and more to the point how do you actually do it??

Charence 12:11 22 May 04

The Mobile phone will be connected to the Always On GPRS which is like the internet connection which you have for your computer. The computer will have a connection to the mobile phone which has the internet connection and will use this to wirelessly connect to the internet.

I'm not sure if this will be any quicker because GPRS is not very fast and it will also cost a lot because you get charged per Kb.

Charence

Taff36 09:30 24 May 04

I have exactly the same set up as you describe. My phone service provider is O2 and I needed them to set up the GPRS always on as Charence says. I suggest you speak to your phone service provider - I`m sure I had to download some software for the laptop and more importantly they have to text you settings for the phone.

Be Warned as Charence says. This is an expensive option compared to dial up and not as quick. I only use it when I have no access to a dial up facility or to download emergency e-mails.

Taff36 12:51 24 May 04

Nokia Guide click here

O2 guide - As an example only unless you are with O2 click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…