Mobile Phone Charging

Fateful Shadow 17:16 15 Jul 05

Is it wise to let a phone battery run down completely before charging it again, or can you charge, say, everyday?

I wouldn't normally ask this question but after what happened with my laptop battery I'm a bit weary (for those who don't know, I kept charging it up when it hadn't drained completely and it's now no good unless it's constantly on charge!)

De Marcus 17:28 15 Jul 05

I only plug my charger in when the phone dies completely or gets on my wick, whinging, beeping 'low-battery-alarm'. You tend to know when it's going to need a charge when you get used to it and plan ahead, my battery lasts 3 days, on the third day it starts to whine and gets plugged in overnight.

pj123 17:34 15 Jul 05

It depends on what type of battery you have. If it is an NiMh it doesn't have a memory problem so can be charged as and when you like. Most others can only be charged completely from scratch, ie. it needs to be completely run down before a recharge.

Jackcoms 18:18 15 Jul 05

"I kept charging it up when it hadn't drained completely".

But surely, whenever you plug a laptop into the mains and switch it on, the battery is then charged automatically.

Thus, it's rather difficult to completely discharge the battery isn't it?

Dorsai 18:34 15 Jul 05

Fateful Shadow said
"I kept charging it up when it hadn't drained completely".

Jackcoms said
But surely, whenever you plug a laptop into the mains and switch it on, the battery is then charged automatically.

Thus, it's rather difficult to completely discharge the battery isn't it?

I say..

Not that hard really. Use it, when it turns off, as the battery's flat, then plug it in to the mains?

Pooke 18:45 15 Jul 05

They tell you when you get the new phone, to condition the battery. That is the battery will only reach optimum capacity when it has been completely depleted and recharged several times.

I tend to stick with this, only charging the battery when it's got that low the phone turns itself off.

Pooke

Completealias 18:50 15 Jul 05

First charge with a new mobile should be for at least 16hrs this is for as Pooke said to condition the battery.

Future charges should then be made when you recieve the low battery warning on your phone or the battery dies, then every now and again it is a good idea to completely discharge the battery and leave it on for an overnight charge, I have had my phone for over a year now and the battery still lasts for about 4days keeping to the above

Fateful Shadow 09:45 16 Jul 05

Ok, so I think i was a tad too keen on the new phone. I left it on charge to begin with until it said "Charge Complete" (which ws a lot shorter than 16 hours). So, have I screwed the battery up already? Will it's 'memory' not last as long as it could?

Thanks

pj123 11:00 16 Jul 05

"So, have I screwed the battery up already?"

No, just run it completely flat and then give it a good overnight charge. Then only charge it when it runs out. I have had my mobile over 4 years and only charge it when the phone won't switch on. I use a car charger which is a lot quicker than the house mains and have not had any problems.

john-232317 11:52 16 Jul 05

click here for battery info. Only one full discharge out of thirty charges is needed.

john-232317 11:56 16 Jul 05

Quote from link.... Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…