Mobile Internet (not wi-fi)

kimig 21:24 06 Jul 04

I am moving abroad shortly, and it is likely to be a LONG time before I can get a landline. I need internet pages, and email, to deal with my rmeining British matters. I think that I can use a laptop with a GPRS card, but don't really understand the requirement. Do I still need an ISP if using this method - and can I buy such a card without being committed to one of the big four British telcoms?
Excuse my ignorance, and thanks for all help.
Kimig

jonnytub 21:38 06 Jul 04

doubt you could get away from the 4 big comps, if you only check mail or do a little surfing then maybe vodaphones new card maybe of some use to you

jonnytub 21:40 06 Jul 04
  jonnytub 21:42 06 Jul 04

theres a few to choose by scrolling down and even pay as you go ones!

kimig 21:52 06 Jul 04

Jonnytub -Thanks for answering. Saw your links, but none of the Brit telcoms operate in North cyprus, where I'm going. so I won't be able to connect to their networks, right? And if I could, wouldn't it be at international call rates (shudder!)

jonnytub 21:55 06 Jul 04

not sure, i think you can connect as your using gprs which is supported by all but the most 3rd world country companies (not trying to be sarky),i'm also unsure of the call charges, maybe a quick telephone call to vodaphone may be in order

jonnytub 21:57 06 Jul 04

click here just found this may help you

kimig 06:51 07 Jul 04

Thanks for help - yes, I've found Net2roam, but they don't seem to support GPRS.I will talk to Vodaphone and let you know.
Kimig

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…