//some 3rd party need geo

Mobile internet connection

deking 12:53 11 Mar 05

Hi all,
I travel a lot worldwide due to my working conditions, and wish to purchase a decent notebook in order to access the internet from wherever and whenever i need to.
Have read about the Dell Inspiron 900, which seems a good choice.
Are the IBM ones any good?
Any ideas please as to which is the best one to go for, or is there another make that's good.
Price is also a slight concern.
Help,
& thanks to all in advance who reply.

spikeychris 13:59 11 Mar 05

To be honest they are all much the same. You could get a Centrino that doesn’t require a PCMCIA card, this is beneficial as its safer to be carting around, as there isn’t any bits sticking out that can be damaged.

That said you can always take the card out and store it, personally I find all WIFI cards very similar, you can get extended aerials and plug inns but to just log in to a hotspot to jump the net all seem to suffice.

If you are out and about a lot, battery power is a major concern. Are you going to be using the machine with power hungry apps? Tech on mobile computing has moved forward a hell of a lot but bat power isn’t moving at the same speed. click here and have a look at a few, it’s a good site that offers lots of options.

FelixTCat 18:49 11 Mar 05

It really depends why you want to access the internet and from where. If all you want is emails and basic surfing, an AOL dial-up account might well do, since AOL has access points world wide. All laptops that I know of have modems and most countries have telephones. At worst, you can use your mobile phone as a connection (if you're very rich).

Otherwise, a wireless network card, either built in or PC Card, will allow access from hotspots world-wide, but you will have to lock down your laptop very securely, since that wireless access will have no security whatsoever - everyone using it will see your laptop and there will be no WEP or anything.

In terms of make, most laptops are branded versions of generic pcs made by a limited number of Far East manufacturers. Looking at the ads in any computer mag shows how few really different pcs there are. If availability of the laptop abroad is important, go for a supplier who offers a long warranty - if only because they are probably more confident of their product.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…