mobile internet

westgolf 11:11 28 Jan 09

I have just taken delivery of a mobile / usb type internet connection.This is supposed to deliver @ 7.2Mbps. When connected it shows max signal strength - bit it is so slow to load a web page & the software upload / download meter shows @ 20 - 30 Kbps speed , it takes @ 2 mins to load my home page , any suggestions please ? Many thanks.

tullie 11:17 28 Jan 09

As far as i am aware it depends of the mobile phone signal strength in your area,others may be able to advise you better.

oldbeefer2 11:51 28 Jan 09

In my experience, you'll be lucky to get much over 512 K, if that!

oldbeefer2 12:34 28 Jan 09

But this click here indicates you should get around 1Gb.

oldbeefer2 12:37 28 Jan 09

meants Mbps.

Whiteadder310556 12:56 28 Jan 09

I have a 3 dongle and the best I get with three power bars is up to 1Gb, but then it depends on the traffic on site does it not? Some pod cast I have downloaded take about 3 minutes, but from the same site and same size some times it can be a lot longer!

Whiteadder310556 13:00 28 Jan 09

Whoops should have been Mps, should be more careful!

westgolf 09:19 29 Jan 09

Many thanks for all assistance.

3gboosterman 15:09 29 Jan 09

Westgolf,

They advertise 7.2 mbps but in reality most of us get approx. between 2.3 and 3.6 mbps.

It all depends on how far away you are from your nearest mobile broadband mast.
And whether or not you have tall structures, steel frame, concrete walls etc... blocking off your signal.

Mobile broadband traffic throughout the day can reduce signal and speed too.

I deal with 3g/HSDPA Dongle/stick antenna boosters. These are not the cheap sticky on sticker things.

If you wish, tell me what kind of signal do you typically get, are you downstairs or upstairs and give me your postcode.
I will be able to check on the mast system to see how far it is from you and whether or not you would be likely to benefit from a antenna booster taking in mind the signal you are getting currently.

I have two models, a Omni Directional and a Directional model.

woodchip 15:13 29 Jan 09

As far as I am aware you only get 2.8 download speed with 3G mobile and think they are all the same

Sea Urchin 17:31 29 Jan 09

Quite correct woodchip

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac