MMC snap in error

Coupe Racing 20:08 04 Aug 08

Hi

a week ago - my pc shut down suddenly during a lightening storm.I am running Windows XP.

I restarted the pc - and allowed the scan disc in the blue screen to carry out its error checking.

Unfortunately - I have to use dial up - and upon restart could not get the modem to dial out.

I went to device manager in System - and a warning dialogue box called MMC appears every time.

In the box - it says ....The snap in below , referenced in this document has been restricted by policy.Contact your administrator for details.Device Manager

I tried going into MMC and there is an error relating to CLSID - so there is I suppose a corrupt registry entry.

I have removed the modem from the PCI slot , and even moved its location - but with no sucess.

I tried to reinstall XP - hoping it might sort out the registry - but I am hoplessly lost and out of my depth now.

All help will be followed and most welcome.

Many thanks

Coupe Racing.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:39 04 Aug 08

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

and retry on completetion

Coupe Racing 22:55 04 Aug 08

Hi
thank you for the suggestion - but still no joy.

Coupe Racing

Coupe Racing 11:19 06 Aug 08

Hi

just to let the group know - I fixed the error with the MMC problem.
Now the error message no longer appears.
I searched the registry for MMC and found a setting that was set for administrator only - so I set it to zero and now I can access the Device Manager.

Now I cant get the modem to recognise COM 3 - nor can I find COM 3 - so the problem hasmoved on a bit.

I will take a look at this - but some one may have a lot more knowledge and be able to point me in the right direction.

As ever - thanks in advance

Coupe Racing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…