MMC cannot open file?

LAPTOPBABE 10:20 17 Nov 08

This problem is on my neice's laptop, she gave it to me as she appeared to have no space left on her 'c' drive, i sorted that for her by moving some stuff (only files) and i wanted to check something on the devise manager and couldn't get in, also I cannot access windows update to check for any udates, the screen just comes up saying the web page is not accesible or something. Also a very similar message to the one below when i try to go to disk defragment. It is windows XP and is only about 2 years old. This problem may have existed before she gave me the laptop, we are not sure on that
The message is
MMC cannot open the file c:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc
This may be becuse the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.

On this last point, I am using my neice's log in screen and she is the administrator. i have checcked on line and tried a couple of things put nothing has worked yet. there is not much which makes any sense to me.
please can someone help me?
Cheers

chub_tor 10:28 17 Nov 08

Microsoft's fix click here

LAPTOPBABE 19:41 17 Nov 08

Hi This is the one I tried and i got as far as loading the third one and it didn't work on the last one, so i think this was the missing file. anyway i decided to reinstall windows from scratch and i am now in the process of putting everything back on. Thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced