mixing win 98SE and XP pro on same computer

terminalfailure 15:07 03 Oct 06

I have a number of old games specifically designed for win 95/98 which now will not work under XP pro.

I had originally set up my 2 hard drives as slave and master with XP pro on the master and XP home on the slave. both formatted in NTFS.

I was wondering if it was possible to reformat the slave into FAT32 and load my old copy of SE on it without causing conflicts.

The only other progs I would have on the slave would be Office and my wireless access.

I am not seeking advice on how to format the drives only as to whether doing this is the best way to play the old games without snags.

All donations gratefully received..thanks mike

Diodorus Siculus 15:13 03 Oct 06

If compatibility mode won't work for the games on XP, then you can add Win98.

The problem is that it is not easy to add an older OS to a PC after a newer one is in place.

But yes, it can be done.

VoG II 15:16 03 Oct 06

See click here

Have you tried compatibility mode? click here

mosfet 15:18 03 Oct 06

Like you I added 98se AFTER XP to duel boot, so 98 is on D drive.I then did a repair on XP (C drive) to get the boot options ok.All works well.

terminalfailure 15:49 03 Oct 06

Thank you all folks I have done this sort of thing before with older systems but I am getting old and out of date and the newer systems frighten me to death.

Yes I had tried compatability mode and downloaded manufacturers patches to no avail.

Any snags you can advise of would be appreciated.including getouts.

Les2 mentioned a repair on the C drive(xp) can you define or are you like me and fiddle around then can't remember how you did it (LOL).

I will not mark this as solved just yet but any further info will be appreciated and cthanks to you all again

mosfet 18:02 03 Oct 06

To repair boot with xp install disc & after setup repair instead of install afresh.

terminalfailure 09:07 04 Oct 06

Thanks Les2 and everyone else again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos