Mixing SATA & IDE

xania 11:34 11 Nov 14
Answered

I have a self built desktop based on an ASUS M3A78-CM motherboard. I have a SATA drive with Windows 7 Home running well. I need to attach an IDe drive for data use only. This drive is configured a slave - ie no jumpers. When I try to connect via the DVD drive cable (temporary arrangement) the PC boots but cannot see the SATA drive and tries to boot from the IDE drive.

I also have purchased a device which purports to connect an IDE device via the SATA drive, but this device actually stops the system from even booting. This is the device

click here thougnt o n either way of solving the problem would be very welcome

Any

Jollyjohn 12:02 11 Nov 14

On next boot, with both drives connected, go to Setup / BIOS and check both drives are seen. Note the SATA drive and look for the Boot priority setting - ensure SATA is first boot device.

If there is a SATA setting usually RAID SATA or IDE possibly AUTO not what it is now and if boot fails, change from SATA to IDE or vice versa

I have had very limited success using SATA/IDE adapters, useful for recovering data but not stable to run PC from.

Jollyjohn 12:27 11 Nov 14

Basi setup IDE Primary Master is my IDE data drive IDE Primary Slave is DVD drive

SATA1 Drive OS drive

Advanced setup - Hard drives 1st drive SATA

1st boot - dvd 2nd boot - SATA

Integrated peripherals SATA mode - SATA

I have just booted and double checked the above settings.

xania 19:17 12 Nov 14

Yes - I thought of that but I only have CD/SATA/FDD options, and have set :

1 - CD 2 - SATA 3 - not available

NB IDE is jumpered as slave as well!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:53 12 Nov 14

Could never get my Medion to boot with an IDE attached :0( BIOS always seem to look at IDE drive for op sytem regardless of what I set.

you may have to find a setting in the BIOS for ACHI for the drive for it even to see the IDE drive.

Always make a note of what you have changed so you remember to change it back again if it doesn't appear to work.

bumpkin 20:46 12 Nov 14

Not the answer but if all else fails you could use a USB caddy for the IDE if just for data.

bumpkin 20:46 12 Nov 14

Not the answer but if all else fails you could use a USB caddy for the IDE if just for data.

xania 11:32 14 Nov 14

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - thanks, I'll look and see if I can find this - and , of course, warning recognised.

Bumpkin - yes - that is my last resort!!

Jollyjohn 13:37 14 Nov 14

Do you have your dvd drive connected as well?

If not then the computer is doing what you have told it to do - try booting from cd first - it is finding your ide drive and getting stuck.

Note there are three separate sections of the BIOS you need to check and have set correctly.

xania 23:22 17 Nov 14

No DVD drive connected as need this for the IDE at present. But the same thing happens even when I set the boot sequence to 1 - SATA 2 - not available. Somehow, connecting the IDE HHD to the IDE cable completely blocks access to the SATA drive.

Jollyjohn 11:37 18 Nov 14

What comes upon the screen when you try and boot with the IDE drive connected?

Are there not 2 connectors on the IDE cable? Usually one for master, one for slave.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now