Mixing eide & serial ata

mick n 14:29 14 Apr 05

My pc is getting a little short of storage space now so its time for an extra hard drive. My drive at present is a maxtor diamond max 9, 80 gb . 8 meg buffer,7200 spindle speed,udma 133 and as my motherboard (ASUS A7n8X.dual channel DDR,NForce2 chipset,usb2) has serial ATA i was thinking about getting a serial ata drive.

Question is, are there any issues in mixing serial ata with eide? The new serial ata drive will be the main boot drive and the old eide drive will be the storage drive.

josie mayhem 14:53 14 Apr 05

I have the same set up, with the sata as main boot. But I am not sure weather there is any problems concerning copy your old drive to the new one, as I carried out a complete clean install of XP.

The only problem I encountered was being quick enough to catch banging f6 to install the sata drivers. But other wise it was as simple as installing a eide drive.

andrew-196854 14:55 14 Apr 05

im a bit lost here in to what your really asking are you sure you motherboard supports serial ata is this your motherboard check hereclick here

mick n 16:07 14 Apr 05

josie, i intend to do a clean install too when i install the new drive.

The motherboard supports serial ata and it even came with the serial ata leads supplied in the box when i bought the components to build the pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…