mixing cpu and memory speeds

madwab 01:05 04 Jan 04

I have an Abit KR7A-RAID board with a 1400+ cpu. Today at a computer fair I bought a 2800+ with a suitable fan, on being assured it had a 266 fsb. I checked on AMD's site before installing, and as I had a suspicion, there is no 266 2800+.

That gives me the choice of taking it back, or going further and upgrading the main board, for which there are various pros and cons; but I don't want to also have to buy more memory right now.

So: if I get a board that supports the 333 cpu, will it allow me to use my 266 ram, or not, or does it depend on the board?

Thanks

howard60 07:32 04 Jan 04

the board will determine the types of memory it can handle. Have you tried the new cpu in your board.? Look at the makers support and see if it can take it if not see what its max is and go from there.

mrdsgs 10:51 04 Jan 04

I use 266 processors (xp2400) with 333 memory (pc2700) on a gigabyte motherboard with no problems at all, however my motherboard does support 333 processors but at the moment i have the motherboard switch set to 266.

If you try to run the 2800 processor at 266 it may well work but ata the slower fsb speed and therefore you will not get the benefit that you have paid for.

My advice is take it back or buy another motherbaord.

Alternatively, sell the xp2800 privately and but a 2400 processor (which is the fastet 266) from ebay or another fair. I have one that I am thinking of selling and recent ebay auctions suggest around £50

mrdsgs

madwab 11:17 04 Jan 04

...isn't explicit, it just talks about 1600+ and future cpus - i.e. it hasn't been updated for some time. I understood that any cpu with a 266 fsb should work.

Anyway, maybe I will try it in the current board; but as I have usb2, lan and firewire cards, a new board with them all integrated makes a lot of sense anyway. I think I'll stick with the 2800+ and get the new board if I have to.

Thanks both.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…