Mixed Memory upgrade

TonyV 18:57 05 Feb 03

I have recently had my machine upgraded by the people who produced it for me originally in Leicester. I had a new 1.1 Athlon processor and a new Motherboard. They also reformatted the HD to give me effectively a new machine.

My existing 128 memory was transferred to the new Motherboard. This was made up of 2 x 64 SDRAM modules.

The new Motherboard only has two memory slots and I'm wondering if I can now upgrade my SDRAM by extracting one of the 64 units and replacing it with a 256 Crucial unit. This, in effect, would give me a total of 384 in SDRAM. My reason for asking the question is that I seem to remember that you could not mix sizes of units. Is this correct?

Thanks

TonyV

mikef™ 19:03 05 Feb 03

You should have no problem, just put the larger memory module in the first slot.

TonyV 19:12 05 Feb 03

Mikef™

Thanks for your comment I will do as you say!

TonyV

sil_ver 19:18 05 Feb 03

Make sure that your Motherboard will accept a 256Mb module first. You need to find out the maximum RAM your mobo will accept and divide by 2 to get the max you can fit in one slot.

TonyV 19:46 05 Feb 03

sil-ver

The Motherboard is capable of 1gb so should have no problem with the planned upgrade.

Thanks

TonyV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This poetic animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

Apple predictions 2017