Mixed Memory upgrade

TonyV 18:57 05 Feb 03

I have recently had my machine upgraded by the people who produced it for me originally in Leicester. I had a new 1.1 Athlon processor and a new Motherboard. They also reformatted the HD to give me effectively a new machine.

My existing 128 memory was transferred to the new Motherboard. This was made up of 2 x 64 SDRAM modules.

The new Motherboard only has two memory slots and I'm wondering if I can now upgrade my SDRAM by extracting one of the 64 units and replacing it with a 256 Crucial unit. This, in effect, would give me a total of 384 in SDRAM. My reason for asking the question is that I seem to remember that you could not mix sizes of units. Is this correct?

Thanks

TonyV

mikef™ 19:03 05 Feb 03

You should have no problem, just put the larger memory module in the first slot.

TonyV 19:12 05 Feb 03

Mikef™

Thanks for your comment I will do as you say!

TonyV

sil_ver 19:18 05 Feb 03

Make sure that your Motherboard will accept a 256Mb module first. You need to find out the maximum RAM your mobo will accept and divide by 2 to get the max you can fit in one slot.

TonyV 19:46 05 Feb 03

sil-ver

The Motherboard is capable of 1gb so should have no problem with the planned upgrade.

Thanks

TonyV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…