Mistery items in Device Manager

Cymro. 16:29 07 Feb 08

I have found that some of the items in my Device Manager are listed more than once. I have disabled the duplicated items without any ill affects on my computer.

Should I now go on to uninstall these duplicated items? Can I do so without irreparable damage to the computer?
Has anyone any idea how such items become duplicated?

Hawy 16:39 07 Feb 08

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Gongoozler 16:40 07 Feb 08

Some items should be duplicated. What are the ones you are referring to?

Cymro. 17:01 07 Feb 08

The duplicated once are

Display adapters=Plug and play monitor has two versions

System devices=Motherboard resources has two versions

Universal serial bus controllers=USB root hub has four versions

They all seem easy enough to enable+disable but I am very weary of un-installing them.

Gongoozler 17:36 07 Feb 08

My system has duplicate Motherboard resources and USB root hubs. Not sure about Plug and play monitors, but that seems harmless enough.

Cymro. 17:55 07 Feb 08

I will try my printer in all three USB ports to see if that has anything to do with the item called Universal serial bus controllers=USB root hub

brundle 18:01 07 Feb 08

It's normal to have more than one USB Root Hub. Nothing you've mentioned is any cause for concern.

Cymro. 18:28 07 Feb 08

With the items disabled my printer would not work so I had to reactivate the Universal serial bus controllers=USB root hub

The printer is now working again. So that will teach me to meddle where I should not, as Hawy said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I still wonder why some items in the list are duplicated but I will reactivate them before something else goes wrong.

Thanks to you all for helping someone who should have known better.

Gongoozler 18:37 07 Feb 08

Lots of USB root hubs for lots of USB ports?

Cymro. 18:59 07 Feb 08

AS you say "Lots of USB root hubs for lots of USB ports?
"Four USB root hubs but only three USB ports, I wonder why that is, no never mind I am better off not knowing.
Good job I only disabled them rather than uninstall them.

Technotiger 19:04 07 Feb 08

If you had un-installed them, they would have come back the next time you started your computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…