Missing Windows Task Manager

Dormben 15:13 28 Feb 08

Windows Task Manager in XP Pro has dissapeared from my hard disk.
Ctrl+Alt+Delete does not bring task manager up.
Right clicking on the task bar brings up a dialog box with Task Manager in it but clicking on it has no effect.
Searching for Task Manager has no result
Installing Service Pack 2 had no effect. Task Manager is still missing.
Any advice on how to reinstall Windown Task Manager would be much appreciated.

Technotiger 15:17 28 Feb 08

Double click on the edge of that Task Manager window.

chub_tor 15:23 28 Feb 08
  VoG II 15:23 28 Feb 08

Start, Run, enter

taskmgr.exe

and click OK. Does that bring it up?

Technotiger 15:32 28 Feb 08

I have had this happen on my PC too - clicking on the edge of the empty task manager window was an instant cure.

Dormben 10:17 29 Feb 08

Thanks for replies to my query. typing 'taskmgr.exe' brings up the message 'Windows cannot find 'taskmgr.exe' ....
Somehow Windows Task Manager has been wiped off my Windows XP Pro instilation. I don't know how as I used to have it and found it very useful. Any advice on how to reinstall it would be much appreciated.

Technotiger 10:21 29 Feb 08

Press ctrl/alt/del this should bring up an empty Task Manager window, then double click on the frame of that window.

brundle 10:22 29 Feb 08

System File Check - have your XP CD handy; click here

chub_tor 18:45 29 Feb 08

Reeinstall TAsk Manager click here

chub_tor 22:55 29 Feb 08

Message via email...
"Hi, Thanks for your advice. Everything went fine until I clicked on 'install', this took me to a dilogue box requesting the insertion of Windows Service Pack 2 CD. On inserting the CD and clicking on the appropriate drive all that appears is a list: DOTNETFX IMAGES SUPPORT VALUEADD Clicking OK brings up the message ' The file mstask.dll is not found. Clicking on any part of the list does not result in finding the missing 'mstask.dll' Sorry to keep asking, but is there anything else that I can do to restore the missing Task Manager? Many thanks for your interest"

Reading TweakXP.com it asks you to use mstask.inf not .dll. Have you done a search on your CD or on your system for mstask.inf?

Gotta go now but will check in tomorrow.

chub_tor 09:38 01 Mar 08

I have emailed a copy of my mstask.dll. Install it in c:\windows\system32 and see if that helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…