Missing win98 audio drivers

steved 09:13 25 Aug 05

I’m reinstalling win98 on my wife’s old Time PC, but unfortunately all the original driver discs have been lost and I forgot (!) to backup the drivers. I’ve managed to locate everything on the net except an audio driver – the PC has integrated audio chip and I don’t know where to start. Any ideas?

^wave^ 09:16 25 Aug 05

do you know the mother board makeand model its a starting point you will probable have to open it up to find it

VoG II 09:17 25 Aug 05

click here to find motherboard details.

steved 22:17 27 Aug 05

The Motherboard (according to Belarc) is Microstar MS-6147 1.x. I've had a look under the hood and the audio chip is a Creative ES1373 - I downloaded and installed drivers from DriverGuide.com but still no sound. Next step, anybody?

woodchip 22:29 27 Aug 05
  PC Bilbo 22:41 27 Aug 05

I have found following site useful when repairing old machines where drivers disks are missing.

click here

You need to register but it's a free service.

sattman 22:48 27 Aug 05

Steved, have you got any audio driver installed at this time, if you have are you aware you have to remove it first in device manager before new driver will install.

steved 23:15 27 Aug 05

Woodchip, you're a star - however, I've downloaded/installed the relevant files and STILL no audio - hoe can I completely uninstall the earlier drivers that I'd installed?

steved 13:02 28 Aug 05

Sattman, how do I remove the earlier drivers? Do I just disable in device manager, or...?

dan11 13:06 28 Aug 05

Go into device manager and delete all entry's that have a yellow exclamation mark next to them.

Reboot the computer. Windows will then find the hardware and ask for the drivers. Point windows to the new folder that has the drivers.

steved 19:52 28 Aug 05

Sorted! Thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…