Missing volume...??

Skulkin 11:48 30 Sep 05

Hi all

No sound

I have checked through the other similar threads but not been able to sort myself out unfortunately.

There's probably a very easy solution to my problem but I'm unsure as to EXACTLY what I need to look for, install, or whatever so thanks very much in advance for all help offered. You're very very nice people!

I had sound for everthing recently but it seems to have 'vanished' across the board.

=> If I try to play mp3's, dvd's, cd's or anything in Media Player (already tried upgrading from 9 to 10 but it didn't help) I get a message box telling me:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

=>In the task bar I have an icon for something called Sound Effect. It seems to be some kind of media application organiser? If I right click it I get icons available for Multimedia, Windows Media Player, Sound Recorder & the usual Volume Control.

If under Volume Control I try to access the 'mixer' (with all the different volume sliders) I get a popup message box saying:

There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add hardware.

This program will now close.

q) I can't get any sound with any applications. Where can I find whats missing and what should I be looking for? (What is it called?)

Also, if its on my XP disc as standard, is there a 'better' version (non Microsoft perhaps) that I could download & install instead?

Cheers

Skulkin :O)

p.s. Start, Settings, Control Panel -> on the Sounds & Audio Devices Properties tab under Volume it says 'No Audio Device' where I understand it should name the 'Default Device' and under the Audio tab under 'Sound Playback' it has Default device: "Modem #0 Line Playback" and no other options to select from the drop down menu (same as for sound recording Default device)

De Marcus™ 11:55 30 Sep 05

Right click on my computer and select: properties. From the new box that comes up select the hardware tab and then click on device manager. In device manager are there any bits which have yellow or red marks next to them?

Skulkin 12:01 30 Sep 05

DeMarcus

Yep.

There's the culprit I think...

C-Media AC97 audio Device has a yellow circled black exclamation mark...

Skulkin :0)

De Marcus™ 12:09 30 Sep 05

Put your motherboard cd in the drive if you have one and right click on the ac97 in device manager and selct: update driver.

If you don't have the motherboard cd or the driver disk for the sound card let us know and we'll direct you to a download.

Skulkin 12:14 30 Sep 05

De M

Sorry, but I don't have a motherboard cd

De Marcus™ 13:09 30 Sep 05

download and run belarc from click here and try to identify your particular model (or onboard version)

Also try windows update

Skulkin 13:58 30 Sep 05

De M

What am I looking for at Belarc?

Some of this...?

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) VIA Technologies, Inc. P4X400-8235
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.80 gigahertz Intel Celeron
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: P4X400-8235
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 09/05/2002
Drives Memory Modules c,d
85.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
54.79 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Cheers

De Marcus™ 14:00 30 Sep 05

Look under the multimedia heading

Skulkin 14:04 30 Sep 05

Under multimedia it says:

C-Media AC97 Audio Device
Splitcam, WDM Camera Stream Splitter
Standard Game Port
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

Yoda Knight 14:06 30 Sep 05

You need to find out the model of card you have and then install the correct drivers from click here

Skulkin 14:11 30 Sep 05

?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…