//some 3rd party need geo

Missing VMM32.VXD path in Win 98

madzad 16:27 05 Jul 03

Hi

I am trying to fix my girlfriends computer that comes up with the following error message when booting up in Win 98 SE.

VMM32.VXD is required to run windows. If this file is not in your PATH, you may need to reinstall windows.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it as I only have a "novice" level of the actual workings of OS and have run a diskscan. I am at present running a surface scan, not to fix this but if there is a problem that replaced this file somewhere else it will hopefully be erased.

Thanks

Steve (UK)

VoG II 16:30 05 Jul 03
  Jester2K II 16:30 05 Jul 03

This article was previously published under Q194679
SYMPTOMS
When you start your computer, you may receive the following error message:

VMM32.VXD is required to run Windows. If this file is not in your PATH, you may need to reinstall Windows.
Your computer then starts to a command prompt.
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the Windows\System folder is missing or renamed, or if the PATH line in the Autoexec.bat file is missing or does not include the Windows\System folder.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, use the appropriate method:
Method 1
At the command prompt, type:
dir vmm32.vxd /s

If the Vmm32.vxd file is not found, you must install Windows 95 or Windows 98 again. If the Vmm32.vxd file is found, note the folder in which it is located, and then continue with step 2.

At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command
cd windows
ren folder system

where folder is the folder you noted in step 1.

Restart your computer.
Method 2
Using a text editor (such as Notepad), edit the Autoexec.bat file and add or modify the PATH line so that it includes the Windows\System folder. For example, add the following line to your Autoexec.bat file:
path=c:\windows\system

VoG II 16:33 05 Jul 03

Ignore that and click here instead.

madzad 16:40 05 Jul 03

Thanks guys, I shall go off and try now... Will post reponse later.

Steve (UK)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…