missing VGA driver

Ray5776 21:37 18 Feb 06

Hello everyone,
I aM trying to piece together an old machine that was laying around. I am using an svga monitor which appears to work fine but when I try to install something from PCA disc screen becomes unreadable.
In device manager "video controller" has the yellow asterisk.
I realise that it needs a driver but cant`t find it on any disks I have. Running win2000pro.
any advice wellcome

Eric10 22:28 18 Feb 06

Use something like Belarc Advisor click here to see if it can tell you what the video card is. Other than that you may need to remove the video card and look for a name or numbers on it. If the video is built into the motherboard then we need to know the make and model of the motherboard. With that information we can have a good stab at finding drivers for you.

Ray5776 23:00 18 Feb 06

Thanks for your response,
the old (3yrs) machine does not have internet access. I have tried copying Belarc from my main PC using a cd to the other but it does not seem to work. Have also tried to use floppy but appears to be too small. Card is built into the mobo. I have had this working in the recent past ie 1month, can`t understand why no driver.
ray

phono 23:11 18 Feb 06

Have you installed the motherboard chipset drivers?

If not, you need to do so to get reliable AGP, DMA etc working, use the supplied mobo CD-ROM or check out the manufacturer's website for the latest drivers.

Ray5776 23:13 18 Feb 06

I have Belarc on a PCA disk but as I have said when try to use I cant read the screen too blurry, set to max resolution not the beer , could`n read it this morning either :)

ray

phono 23:15 18 Feb 06

As previously said, you need to install the mobo chipset drivers and then the graphics drivers.

Ray5776 23:50 18 Feb 06

Thanks phono, how do I do this, I have some old CDs that may be the chipset drivers but I don`t know if they are or not or how to install them. I have just got this up and running today used Win 98 floppy to boot up, Fsdisk,format etc, load Win 98 then upgrade to Win2000 pro. So very basic system at the moment

Ray5776 15:31 19 Feb 06

thanks phono, sorted.
ray

phono 21:11 19 Feb 06

No problem but I wasn't the only one to help so credit to them too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…