missing user accounts in winxp

john 21:05 18 Oct 08

My parents gave me their pc to sort out as they couldn't log on to windows. Tried everything to get it to log on but couldn't even get it to boot into safe mode.
Had to boot from the win xp pro cd and ended up installing the os again.

Now all seems to be ok but the original user accounts are missing from the log on screen, the only account is the administrator account which I was asked to set up during installation.

There was no format of the hard drive and I have noticed that from the administrator account all of the original programs are not available from the start menu.

I have looked in the program files folder and the missing programs are still there, also in the docs and settings folder still contains the missing user accounts folders and contents.

Anyone got a clue what went wrong and how I can get the user accounts and program short cuts back to original settings please?

Condom 21:37 18 Oct 08

If you start/control panel/user accounts/a new account you can set up accounts for you parents. I am a little puzzled about what you have actually done so far. When you installed the operating system again did you go for a repair or a new install? During a new install of XP you would have been given the opportunity to set up user accounts. If you manage to set up new user accounts then you can simply drag and drop the files and folders from where they are to the new files and folders. Why or what has gone wriong I have no idea but this should help you get back to normality. Other posters may offer you alternative guidance or comments which may help you further.

john 22:00 18 Oct 08

Thanks for your reply.

I couldn't go for repair using the repair console because it required the administrator password and nobody seems to know what it was. So went for an install. There was no user account setup option during the install funny enough.

I know that I can set up new user accounts but there would be no short cut access to the programs etc, which are still on the hard drive. Strangely, in add remove programs, none of the programs that are still on the hard drive are listed.

Bizarre!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…