Missing USB

lightfeet 07:51 24 Jul 04

A friend has a 2 year old computer running Win98 Second Edition & when he tried to plug his new camera into a USB socket he was told to look in Device Manager to check if there is a yellow exclamation point against USB ports. He tells me that he cannot find USB listed in the Device Manager. Is this possible or do you think he is not looking in the right place?
He lives too far away for me to physically help & since I have never had Win 98 I probably wouldn’t be much help any way.

Dorsai 08:30 24 Jul 04

Assuming your friend has never used the USB ports beofore, it is possible that they are disabled in the BIOS. It might be worth having a quick look there to make sure the usb function is set to enabled, rather than disbled

Gongoozler 09:13 24 Jul 04

If the usb ports are enabled, they should show at the bottom of the list in Device Manager as in the picture on this page click here

lightfeet 12:04 24 Jul 04

Thanks Dorsai & Gongoozler, very helpful. I will get my friend to look in the BIOS & post the outcome.

lightfeet 07:42 26 Jul 04

Since my friend is paranoid about going into his BIOS I shall need to send him an email detailing exactly what to do. Please could anyone give me this info or point me in the right direction where I may find it?

Gongoozler 09:19 26 Jul 04

Hi lightfeet. To give exact instructions we need to know what motherboard your friend has.

lightfeet 22:21 26 Jul 04

Am not sure that he knows what motherboard he has but will try to find out tomorrow after work. In the meantime he has looked in System Tools-System Information-Collected Information which says "There are no Universal Serial Bus devices". Does this mean the ports are disabled or that nothing is connected to them?

Gongoozler 09:39 27 Jul 04

Hi lightfeet, I think that the is simply reporting that there are no USB devices (printers etc) plugged in or installed. I have never found "System Information" very helpful.

To find out what motherboard your friend has, download and run Belarc Advisor from click here. This is a very useful small application that reports on the hardware and software in the computer. Everest Home is a more comprehensive utility and is available for free download from here click here

lightfeet 07:31 28 Jul 04

Hi Gongoozler, thanks for the above. I couldn't get in touch with my friend yesterday but will pass the Belarc info on & see what he comes up with.

lightfeet 06:45 29 Jul 04

The Belarc Advisor program you recommended is useful; I ran it on my computer & produced a very interesting summary of its contents. Getting back to my original topic here’s a copy of the relevant parts of my friends PC -

Main Circuit Board b
Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 7ZXE 1.x
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 62710 03/29/2002

Bus Adapters
None detected

Other Devices
Conexant PCI Modem Enumerator
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse

As you can see no Bus Adapters or Other Devices were detected

lightfeet 07:27 30 Jul 04

Bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…