missing task bar after winxp sp2 repair

wimboess 19:33 27 Jul 07

Hi there
Can anyone please tell me how to restore a missing taskbar/start button? Had corrupt or missing file error message windows/system/config etc so tried repairing OS using disc. Seems to have partially worked but now there is no taskbar. I desperately need to backup a load of files if possible. Also any idea how to get to windows explorer without start menu? The windows key on keyboard is not working! Help!!

skidzy 19:48 27 Jul 07

Try right clicking on the bottom of your desktop and select properties,Tick Keep Taskbar on top of windows.

Eric10 20:04 27 Jul 07

If the Windows key doesn't work use Ctrl+Esc instead. If the menu comes up then your monitor may need adjusting for screen height or position.
Also right-click the Desktop and choose Properties. On the Desktop tab click the 'Customize Desktop' button. On the General tab, in the 'Desktop Icons' area put a tick in the 'My Computer' and 'My Documents' boxes. OK your way out and you'll have icons on the Desktop.

wimboess 20:07 27 Jul 07

thanks skidzy but that didn't work. It's as if the taskbar is not there at all, let alone hidden. back to the drawing board...

wimboess 20:11 27 Jul 07

hi eric10
have already tried ctrl+esc but that does nothing either. thanks for the other tips - they worked!!

wimboess 20:34 27 Jul 07

Hi 'The Raven'
Thanks for the link. Will try this repair, but not until tomorrow, now. Got to go.
Will let you know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…