Missing system32 folder

thedarkside 09:01 18 Jun 05

The spare PC has recently been hit by the W32 Spybot Worm. I have gone to the Symantec web site and read the removal instructions. Everything seemed to be straightforward until it mentions deleting a file from C:|Windows|System32 folder. This directory does not show in Explorer (although it does on the main PC) I have tried Safe Mode and showing hidden system files to see if it will appear. As the rogue file is resident in this file, I am rather stuck until I can find a way in. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also regedit no longer seems to work (I downloaded a freeware editor as a workaround to this)

Thanks in advance

thedarkside 09:02 18 Jun 05

Sorry - should have mentioned both PC' are on XP

VoG II 09:20 18 Jun 05

Tools , Folder Options, View tab, untick Hide protected operating system files.

Joe R 09:31 18 Jun 05

thedarkside,

to repair the regedit facility, scroll down to 173, click on it, then click on file-save page as.

click here

thedarkside 20:57 18 Jun 05

Thanks for replies

Found system32 OK - regedit still down. I can access the registry via third party editor in Windows but it doesn't seem to work in Safe Mode

If I can get into the registry in Safe Mode I can crack this problelm. Any more ideas?

VoG II 21:01 18 Jun 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…