Missing System32 folder

Noelg23 16:24 30 Sep 04

I have a got a friend who received a bogus email and her daughter opened it by mistake..apparently it was something labelled Al-Qieida...and when it was opened it deleted the System32 folder and has now killed her machine. its got a point where she cant even get into BIOS to boot from CD and try to repair the OS. its XP Pro...she can boot up and it does tell her she needs to repair but the CD is not being recognised...seems like the whole system is gone but can someone relate to this and find a solution...I am thinking its probably hardware related but if someone can shed any light that would be great.

bretsky 17:37 30 Sep 04

^^bump^^

Noelg23 17:41 30 Sep 04

whats with all this bump I keep seeing on certain posts???

bof:) 17:58 30 Sep 04

bump takes your posting back to the top of the list.

I seem to remember something about using a win98 bootdisk but I'm not sure on the whys and wherefores of how it worked.

I should wait until you get one of the more knowledgeable members looking in.

Mike

Eastender 19:50 30 Sep 04

Download a boot disk from here click here

Eastender 19:53 30 Sep 04

If they can't get into the machine, how do they know the Sys32 folder has been deleted?

Noelg23 20:49 30 Sep 04

perhaps just before the system completely went down they were able to get int Windows and noticed the sys32 folder missing...I didnt actually think of asking that...so if I download a bootdisk that should do it? but she cant get into BIOS (at least she dont know how to but I did ask her and she said she couldnt) will the floppy just automatically boot up?

Eastender 10:22 02 Oct 04

Have a look at this click here

Noelg23 12:11 02 Oct 04

thanks Eastender but I have already downloaded that...Im going to ring my friend and find out which one she has whther its SP1 or SP2 as I have downloaded them both...whichever she has I will copy them to disk and post them to her...but thanks all the same...

Noelg23 18:40 02 Oct 04

I have spokent to my friend and has she managed to get the CD working but when it comes to Recovery Console...what does she do from there? she gets a list of the commands in DOS like ATTRIB, CHKDSK...can someone tell me is this correct? but what is she meant to do from here? any help would be nice..

VoG II 18:43 02 Oct 04

click here should help you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…