Missing startup files from msconfig

Mr T 09:33 18 Aug 03

I am using XP Home Edition, for some unknown reason PC was slow to boot up, on checking found that the selected startupup files were ALL missing from msconfig.
I have tried a Windows restore, no luck. Is there a back up of these selectve files and how do I restore them please.

JIM 10:06 18 Aug 03

Did you take the restore point back far enough?
Are the missing file, program files (non windows)
Have you tried sfc /scannow ?

Any error messages? (on bootup) or otherwise.

What is left in ms.config ? Did you have the service pack update installed?

Any changes you made that you can discribe to help solve problem.

All questions but trying to gather info to see if
we can focus on an area.

Mr T 11:33 18 Aug 03

Thanks Jim,
There are NO files in msconfig startup, no error messages on boot up, just a grey screen for 30 secs while its looking for startup files, then hard drive starts to spin and windows then finishes loading OK.
I went back a month for a restore, tried several dates, no actual restore done.
Scannow did not function.
The missing files from startup are the usual bits and pieces to put it mildly.
I have installed 2 programs and then noticed problem, and Keiro firewall, have now removed them and still no joy.
Thanks for reply, any other assistance appreciated. Mike

jazzypop 12:18 18 Aug 03

Sorry, but I am still puzzled.

When you say the files are 'missing' from the startup tab in msconfig, are you saying that there are no entries listed?

Or that they are listed, but unticked?

Or that they are listed, and ticked, but Windows reports that it cannot find those listed files as it boots up?

Or am I missing the point completely?

Lozzy 12:23 18 Aug 03

When you ran sfc /scannow did you have the XP cd in your rom? and note there must be a space between the C of sfc and the /. if the win XP wizard starts exit from the wizard.

If it does not run what is the error msg you get.

JIM 14:06 18 Aug 03

If you system came with recovery winxp disk do a reinstall leaving all programs and files in tact.
Normaly, choice will open at upgrade /recommended installation.

Mr T 16:07 18 Aug 03

Jim, Have full windows cd.

Jazzypop, There are no files showing in startup at all, if they are there, they are invisible.

Lozzy, Have managed to start sfc /scannow, I get firstly "Files that are needed to run windows properly must be copied to dll cache-- insert windows cd".

Then I get "The cd inserted is the wrong CD, please insert XP Home Edition into cd drive"

This is done with my original full cd, it trys to copy files but keeps asking for the correct cd.
Oh dont we love these little bugs, it keeps us guessing what will happen next !

Thanks to all, any more suggestions and I will willingly try them

jazzypop 16:15 18 Aug 03

Time for a repair install, methinks - click here

woodchip 17:18 18 Aug 03

If you look in Windows Explorer there may be an old msconfig file that you can rename back to msconfig.sys the old file may have a name like msconfig.old or .bak

Mr T 08:49 19 Aug 03

BINGO answer found.

I had been trying out a program for a client, it is Spytech- Spyagent used for monitoring internet usage. If I close program completly and without rebooting files are then visible in msconfig. It appears that it is a safty issue for their program to stop prying eyes from switching it off.

Thanks to all your kind suggestions, by the way, the spytech program is good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…