missing startup file

picklsey 06:52 21 Nov 04

does anyone know what this file does and how to fix it.when i run norton one button scan i am told there is a missing startup file (gcasDTServe.exe) then at the end of the message it says an invalid startup command.xphome sp2.

Andsome 08:18 21 Nov 04

Try putting in your system disc, stop it from auto running. If you use XP go to Start/Run and type sfc /scannow then click Ok or enter. A full system files check will then run, and any missing files will be replaced. NOTE the space between sfc and /. If you run 98, then type sfc leaving out the /scannow.

Gongoozler 10:03 21 Nov 04

I think it is most likely that there is a registry entry for gcasDTServe to run at startup, but the program has been removed. First have a look in msconfig (Start - Run - msconfig - Startup). Have a look in the list of startup programs. Under heading "Command", see if you can find an entry that includes "gcasDTServe.exe". If you do find one, remove the tick from th ebox alongside it, OK out of msconfig and restart you computer. If this has cured the problem then the folloing way is the best to remove it permanently. If you don't find the entry there, then the following may find it anyway.

Download RegSeeker click here. Create a new folder on your hard drive, and call it Regseeker. Unzip RegSeeker to the new folder, and double click RegSeeker.exe to run it. In RegSeeker click on Startup entries. Have a look for an entry that includes the word gcasDTServe.exe. If you find one, right click on it and select Startup entries - Disable selected entries if you only want to temporarily disable it, or left click and press the keyboard Delete key to permanently delete it. As long as there is a tick in the Backup before deletion box, you can restore the deleted entry if you get a problem.

picklsey 05:22 22 Nov 04

thanks to both of you went the reg seeker way so far all,s well.my apologies for taking so long on getting back to you,se.thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…