Missing "standby" and "hibernate"

1832bchs 21:16 28 Apr 05

Since doing a clean reinstall of XP Home SP1 I have lost the option to either standby or hibernate. Where the options SHOULD be is blank.

ade.h 21:49 28 Apr 05

That can happen sometimes, for some unknown reason. If it occurs on a brand new XP installation on an old PC, it's usually an old BIOS, but in you case, it's just a glitch in the power settings.

Enter desktop properties (r-click the desktop as usual) and hit the screensaver tab. Power settings are accessed via a button at the bottom. You can also use the control panel.

Check all your settings and post back here.

ade.h 21:53 28 Apr 05

Also, please let us know details of your display and its driver version, as this needs to support standby.

1832bchs 21:55 28 Apr 05

Settings are:
Always on
Power down monitor 20 mins
Power down hd never
When power button pressed shut down.

The Hibernate tab is missing and the section at bottom of 1st tab where standby and hibernate should be is blank

1832bchs 21:56 28 Apr 05

Display is Radeon PCI Express

ade.h 22:05 28 Apr 05

That's your graphics card there. What's your monitor? As MS points out click here any piece of hardware that, quote "does not support power management" will prevent these options from appearing. What that really means for you is that you just need to check all relevant drivers and update as required. Graphics, display, and mainboard, usually. In your case, the BIOS is okay, since it worked before the re-installation.

1832bchs 22:08 28 Apr 05

All drivers are identical to when these options DID work.
Monitor is AOC 917 TFT

ade.h 22:09 28 Apr 05

Also read this; click here. Follow the instructions. It makes references to XP Pro, but applies to Home as well.

ade.h 22:12 28 Apr 05

If your drivers are correct, then my last link is the only suggestion that I can make at this stage. I'll scratch my head some more in the meantime and check your thread again tomorrow.

ade.h 22:15 28 Apr 05

One more thought; uninstall your graphics AND display from Device Manager and reboot. May work, may not, but worth a try.

User-312386 22:17 28 Apr 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…