Missing Slave Drive after power switched off (2)

Flopper 22:53 01 May 05

Me again. Same problem I thought had resolved itself. Running XP Pro. My seperate internal slave drive goes missing for a while when the PC is turned off. Originally it was 'jumperless' as a Master to a Slave DVD-Rom and after the first episode it was then 'jumpered' to be a 'Master With Slave Present' which worked for a short while. It is not visible in the BIOS or Device Manager or in Admin Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management. Originally the problem started when the mains was switched off in error. It's a fairly new 250GB IDE drive from a reputable manufacture via a reputable retailer.
Only thing not yet done is to use FDisk to see if the partition is visible. Would a format help?

LastChip 23:07 01 May 05

If the BIOS is not seeing it, it is almost certainly a jumper problem, bad data cable or even a duff motherboard connector.

The Jumper problem could also be associated with a drive controller fault, which there is little you can do about, other than returning the drive under warranty (if this applies).

The ideal problem solving method for this, would be to temporarily fit it to a different machine and see if it's recognized. If it is, (other than an intermittent fault) you should try a different data cable to start with (the cheapest and easiest option). If still no luck, try it on a different physical motherboard connector - normally there are two and sometimes four to choose from. It's a question of elimination to find the guilty party!

Flopper 23:26 01 May 05

After posting this I rebooted for the 4th time and lo and behold the drive appeared. The problem is intermittent. I will try a new Data Cable and if it fails again I will try another PC. The Motherboard is recognised as one of the best of it's class (ABIT IC7-G) with 1GB of Kingston memory and a 3GB P4 chip and the power supply should be adequate.
Thanks for the advice.

Flopper 23:28 01 May 05

After posting this I rebooted for the 4th time and lo and behold the drive appeared. The problem is intermittent. I will try a new Data Cable despite the fact that this cable worked for years in another PC and if it fails again I will try the drive in a different PC. The Motherboard is recognised as one of the best of it's class (ABIT IC7-G) with 1GB of Kingston memory and a 3GB P4 chip and the power supply should be adequate.
Thanks for the advice.

LastChip 23:46 01 May 05

I use them exclusively to build all my own and client machines, but, even Abit do get the occasional problem and I have had one faulty motherboard (from new) that was replaced under warranty.

I'm afraid intermittent problems are the "techies" nightmare, as you can never be sure (at least for a while) that you have got to the bottom of the problem.

Most drive manufacturers now have their own utilities for testing drives, and if you require replacement under warranty, often insist on the data from these utilities prior to issuing an RMA. It may be a good idea to download the appropriate utility and run the diagnostic program to see if it suggests anything wrong with the hard drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:48 02 May 05

In device manager uninstall and then reinstall the IDE channels incase the channel drivers are corrupted. However tis woud not explain why the drive is not found in the BIOS.

Lost drives in BIOS are usually

1. faulty / loose IDE cable

2. jumpers in wrong place

3. power cable / psu faulty

4. faulty drive

40/80 wire IDE connectors
click here

Hard disk checks before you condemn it
click here

Hard disk tools :-
Seatools click here
WD Data lifeguard click here
Maxblast3 click here

Flopper 20:48 10 May 05

Heard from someone who may know that he had similar problems due to a faulty CD/DVD-Rom 'throwing' voltage back to the Motherboard.
I noticed my DVD-Rom (which does not exactly get hammered) was not reading some discs as well as my DVD writer. I took it out and still had the issue so I swapped the ribbon cable and so far after 3 or 4 reboots the second drive is still 'in-situ'.
I will replace the DVD-Rom and take it from there.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…