Missing Slave Drive after power switched off

Flopper 22:14 15 Apr 05

After switching of the sockets at the main fuse box (don't ask) my newly installed (2 weeks old) slave drive, 250GB, has gone missing.
Long before the power went off I was copying a movie from a DVD to my slave drive (which had over 60GB of movies yet to be burned to DVD). I rebooted my PC and tried to access the second (G:) drive. My PC hung for a minute and went an 'iconless' desktop and showed a message re: a file missing on G:. I clicked OK and my DVD-Rom and my DVD-RW drives went missing. I rebooted and the 2 latter drives were 'found' automatically but the 2nd (G:) drive was not. It is not recognised at boot-up by the BIOS nor can I AutoDetect it. It is also not visible in Disk Manager. The only thing I have not done is see if it is visible as a partition in FDisk.
Any ideas?
Surely a drive nowadays can withstand a switch off. All my PC equipment is on a Surge Protector.

woodchip 22:25 15 Apr 05

switch the drive on when you get to windows, then right click the drive\properties and check the drive from tools

Flopper 22:28 15 Apr 05

Hi
I am not quite sure what you mean...switch on what drive from where...I cannot see the slave drive...

woodchip 22:31 15 Apr 05

Are booting with the External drive switched on? if so leave it till you get into Windows then try switching it on. and the do the above if you can see it in Explorer

woodchip 22:33 15 Apr 05

Sorry about that I am thinking you have External Drive. So what is you Drive format NTFS or FAT32

Flopper 22:37 15 Apr 05

NTFS

theodor 22:43 15 Apr 05

If the new drive (G:) is internal, power down taking percautions for installing a drive and open the case and check and reconnect the power supply cable and the ribbon cable to drive.

If (G:) is external USB, check and reconnect the USB and power connectors and reboot. This might do the trick.

woodchip 22:45 15 Apr 05

I lost Two partitions on My drive, other day after running Windows update on My Win98 computer. I downloaded Testdisk.exe and put it on a floppy disc started with a Windows 98 Floppy start disc and then changed the disc to the Testdisk. and I managed to sort it but if you are Win 2000 or XP it can be run from Windows if you download the correct file

click here

How to run it click here

Flopper 23:31 15 Apr 05

I started to use Boot floppies to access FDisk to see if I could see the 'missing' partition and during the 4th floppy I got a message saying a file was corrrupt and to reboot. Upon rebooting the missing partition is no longer missing.
These PC's will be the death of me yet !!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…