Missing £ Sign

The Mountaineer 11:00 12 Jul 09

A small problem that's driving me nuts. I recently bought an Eee PC Netbook in Kathmandu ........ with a $ sign but no £ sign. When I write in Word etc its only a minor problem to insert a £ character sign, but if I'm typing an email or updating a website or blog its a damn nuisance to type in Word first then copy & paste. I've searched the web for solutions and thought I'd found one with a Windows keyboard command of Shift+RightAlt+4 but that just doesn't work. Has anyone solved this before, or just gone crazy like I'm about to?!!

The Mountaineer 11:12 12 Jul 09

Jock1e thanks ...... but I did that first before I realised it wasnt going to help as there is no £ sign on the keyboard anywhere! Somehow I need to assign the symbol £ to an existing key which does not have £ on it. (Hope this is making sense!)

oldbeefer2 12:17 12 Jul 09

..while in Symbols and the pound sign, click 'shortcut Key', then type your chosen shortcut - say Ctrl 1. From then on, each time you click Ctrl 1, you'll get the £ sign.

The Mountaineer 12:55 12 Jul 09

Oldbeefer2, where do I find "shortcut key" to click?

oldbeefer2 15:19 12 Jul 09

In Word - Insert, Symbol. At the bottom is a button 'Shortcut Key' (or should be) - that's where you can choose how to call up the symbol you need.

rawprawn 15:48 12 Jul 09

In office 2007 it is already formulated Shift + 3 £

The Mountaineer 15:54 12 Jul 09

Sorry folks, my fault mentioning Word, I use Open Office.

Sea Urchin 16:16 12 Jul 09

I just keep a shortcut to the Character Map in the quick launch toolbar - while typing email open and select £ sign and paste in.

The Mountaineer 17:00 12 Jul 09

Sea Urchin, good suggestion, I'll do it.
Ta
Thread closed

Sea Urchin 17:01 12 Jul 09

Thanks

woodchip 17:04 12 Jul 09

that will not work, I bought a Keyboard New from computer Fair, did not find out till I got home that its the same keyboard style as above. No £ sign key on it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…