Missing right Open with Photoshop correct icon

zemdarin 18:16 21 Dec 03

Hi this is my first post.
I have a problem since uninstalling Photoshop and reinstalling it, when I now right click to open with, the icon I am presented with looks more like a little white screen rather than the original icon I had. The message I get now is
C:\DOCUME~1\MYNAME~1\MY DOCU~1\MYPICT~1\DIGITA~1\JAG-3P\~1.TIF" is not a valid WIN32 Application can anybody help me with this please. I can open them different ways, but I liked this for convenience.

Big Elf 18:41 21 Dec 03

You may need to re-associate the file types with the program. How you do this depends on your OS. In XP and from Explorer select 'Tools', Folder Options', 'File Type'. Navigate to the 'Tif' filetype and click the 'Change' button then select the program you wish to open this type of file. You mave to do this for other file types e.g. 'bmp', 'jpg' etc.

I have totally forgotten how to do this with other versions of Windows so if you're not using XP hopefully someone else can help.

Big Elf 18:43 21 Dec 03

Forgot the simpler way in XP. Right click on the file and select 'Open With' then 'Choose Program'.

zemdarin 19:50 21 Dec 03

Hi Big Elf thanks for that information but I have already done both of those, and I do have Photoshop in the right click to open photos into it. What I am saying is the more simple way of doing it as your second posting right click browsing to the file and clicking on the .exe does not do anything now as per the message I wrote in the first posting. I do have XP by the way.

hugh-265156 20:02 21 Dec 03

can you start photoshop from start/all programs menu?

the error in your first posting above makes me think that windows is trying to open an image with an image file ie/.tif in your my pictures folder instead of the photoshop.exe in program files.

VoG II 20:03 21 Dec 03

So if I understand, you are right clicking on a .TIF file and selecting Open and that generates the error you posted above.

What happens if you double left click on a .TIF?

Big Elf 20:04 21 Dec 03

Sorry, misunderstood (as usual). I've got no idea but hopefully someone else will.

I hesitate to say this but perhaps a XP repair might help? (As a last resort)

hugh-265156 20:14 21 Dec 03

yes,just tried it myself and got the same error.

you are opening a tiff with a tiff

hugh-265156 20:16 21 Dec 03

right click the tiff and choose open with/choose program

browse to program files/adobe/photoshop and find photoshop.exe

select it and tick always use this program

zemdarin 21:02 21 Dec 03

Hi all
Sorry but this is the way I do it. It doesn't have to be a tif it could just as well be a jpg. First I have associated photos by going into folders scrolling down to jpg tools-File types-advanced-new adding Photoshop and then scrolling for the .exe which gave me a right click to open in Photoshop when I right click, but then of course if you double click, all photos open in photoshop and that is controllable by changing the open with back to windows and fax viewer, and only opening them in Photoshop if I need to.
Second if you right click on a photo and then click open with there is no icon in there for Photoshop now as it used to be, only a blank white looking useless icon that gives me that message in my first posting. That is what I am trying to restore.

Big Elf 21:13 21 Dec 03

I see, I think. Have you reinstalled Photoshop to a differnent location than it was originally? If that's the case then the 'Open With' is pointing to the old location rather than the new one and needs to be redirected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…