Missing Programs On Start Up

devilment 19:13 05 Jan 03
  devilment 19:13 05 Jan 03

Home PC developed a problem and I had to press ctrl-alt-del to escape, I then shut down machine and restarted. On restart all my programs previously available on start menu of desktop have vanished althouigh thay can still be accessed and viewded via My Computer icon then hard drive area. Can anyone shed light on what has happened and how to resolve?

Gongoozler 20:46 05 Jan 03

devilment, what version of Windows do you have on your computer?

devilment 10:30 06 Jan 03

Windows 98, unsure of which addition, it came with PC from Tiny many moons ago

Tog 12:29 06 Jan 03

Navigate to the Start Menu directory and see if your programme shortcuts are still there.

devilment 13:04 06 Jan 03

I can access via hard drive, then into windows and then program files all are there and working. Also office applications are in start up menu. Can't understand where link has gone. It was so much easier going start then programs then select program from desktop.

Tog 13:12 06 Jan 03

Right-click on the taskbar, select properties and start menu then you can put them back on from there. As for how they disappeared, I'm as puzzled as you are.

Gongoozler 19:53 06 Jan 03

If you look in Windows Explorer, you should see your start menu list in C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs. The start menu you see via the start button is just a more friendly presentation of this same list.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos