missing O.S.... help

KPC 19:44 05 Oct 08

i was formatting a drive and basically chose the wrong one, i realised after about 5 minutes. its windows vista and is it possible to recover data off this now lost O.S. and whats the best tool if indeed there is one......Please help.

chub_tor 19:50 05 Oct 08

If you started a format on your system drive and then stopped it after 5 minutes you have a serious problem. There is a faint chance that you might be able to recover your data files by putting that hard drive as a slave into another PC with a good operating system (preferably Vista)and using Windows Explorer on the slave drive to look at any files that are on it. I'm sorry but I do not know of any free software that can recover files from a formatted drive, but others may be able to help.

KPC 19:55 05 Oct 08

thanks for your help chub_tor, i know its very serious, should have backed up.

KPC 19:59 05 Oct 08

i obviously need a bootable recovery utility

chub_tor 20:34 05 Oct 08

I Googled your problem click here= which gives quite a few options for recovering your data. I didn't go completely through the list and so haven't weeded out the paid versus free ones (indeed if there are any), nor did I notice if any of them provide bootable recovery. My guess is that you will still need to put the drive in as a slave on an operating machine along with one of those pieces of recovery software listed on Google. Good luck.

chub_tor 20:40 05 Oct 08

click here# is a free file recovery programme but it is not bootable.

chub_tor 20:43 05 Oct 08

OK my last attempt! click here is bootable from a floppy but is not free.

ACOLYTE 20:44 05 Oct 08

I didn't think it was possible to format a system drive while it was in use?

KPC 15:20 07 Oct 08

i was trying to put my xp possibly on d drive using the software but then when it came to choosing the drive, i chose the wrong one, but anyway thanks for all the postings and i will try them all, failing that i will put it another computer and recover the data that way. seems thats the only way of doing it easily.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…