Missing or not ? (.DLL file)

bloo meeny 17:47 04 May 05

Okay, I admit it - deleted a needed .dll file so it's my fault, but I'm not the first and won't be the last so learn from my mistake ..... but I'd appreciate some help anyway :o)

Note: WINDOWS 98SE

Trying to open Outlook Express gives the error message "One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found" and refers to UNICOWS.DLL

What I don't understand is that after clicking "ok", then shortly afterwards (within 30 seconds) OE loads and operates as normal, hence the thread title - surely if the file was truly 'missing' then it wouldn't work at all ?

Here's a list of the things I've tried so far ....

1. Ran system file checker (no missing/corrupted files reported)

2. Tried an Internet Explorer "repair" from Add/Remove Programs.

3. d/loaded unicows.dll from the internet and placed in Windows/System folder

4. d/loaded and installed unicode pack (contains above file) from microsoft.com

5. Re-installed Windows 98SE "over the top".

None of the above has made any difference.

Can anyone please confirm the right location for this file as my suspicions are, that it's there somewhere (but maybe misplaced). When I look in Windows/System, I cannot see an icon for unicows.dll at all.

Any ideas/comments gratefully received.

Jak_1 17:50 04 May 05

Have a look here click here should solve your problem.

bloo meeny 18:01 04 May 05

Thanks for the link, but that's the exact same one I used in step 4 above :(

bloo meeny 19:00 04 May 05

Just checked again and Outlook Express now opens immediately with NO error messages at all !!!

Maybe I was right all along and the file WAS there somewhere, and windows has now 'found' it ....

Remember folks, leave those .dll files alone :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…