missing or damaged hal.dll error message?

halcyonic 23:48 14 Feb 08

Hi guys,

I just recently built my own PC and when it came to installing XP I decided to create two partitions, one for normal use - 210gb and one for gaming 40gb.

However, unfortunately i created the gaming one as C: and my main partition as E - as of yet I hadn't got round to installing XP on C:.

Today I was trying to patch a program (don't ask) and the patch needed the directory to be in C: so I wanted to swap the name of the partitions. Couldn't figure how to do it so I got hold of partition magic and decided the best thing to do would be to merge E: into C: and then create a new E partition later. Right? Ahem.....

So now I find myself at the wrong end of the boot command manager asking me to choose between two 'default' partitions - so do I take the red pill or the blue pill?

Well the red pill gives me -

I/O Error accessing boot sector file
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1):\bootsect.dos

Which I presume is my C: drive that never had anything on it...

and the blue pill gives me - Windows root>\System32\Hal.dll missing or corrupt.

Which I think is my main E: drive.

So, If I boot from my XP cd it says 'setup is inspecting your hardware configuration'

And then it doesn't say anything.... ever

So my questions are - considering I can't boot from XP cd or even get into its Setup do you think I can repair windows?

Or if not how do I reformat my HDD from BIOS or DOS?

Cheers for any suggestion,

Hal.

woodchip 23:53 14 Feb 08
  halcyonic 00:00 15 Feb 08

I'm afraid that no info on there helps with my problem woodchip - I can't boot from the XP CD.

woodchip 00:01 15 Feb 08

Why not? is it a Restore CD? or you need to set BIOS to see the CD as first boot device

woodchip 00:04 15 Feb 08

Why not? is it a Restore CD? or you need to set BIOS to see the CD as first boot device

Other things to try click here

halcyonic 00:04 15 Feb 08

No,

It's that once it boots from the CD it says - 'setup is inspecting your hardware configuration'

and then the screen just goes blank and that's the end of that.

woodchip 00:05 15 Feb 08

Try the above link

halcyonic 00:27 15 Feb 08

The first proposed solution I can't do as it means booting from the XP cd and going into windows explorer.

So.... I just installed my HDD as a slave on my dad's comp. Can see both the drives and can access the 40gb c: drive but I'm unable to open the 195 gb E: drive and in the properties tab it says it contains 0 bytes.....

If I installed XP on the drive accessible on this PC could I access the other partition through that or am I going to have to reformat?

woodchip 14:05 15 Feb 08

If you mean that E: is a partityion on the drive, Have you tried check disc on it? You could also try TestDisk I uswe this with good results to get back a partion, lost by XP updates

click here

halcyonic 14:44 18 Feb 08

Ok - Windows has done some kind of repair and I can now access the E: partition.

HOwever, there is seemingly nearly nothing in it yet 20gb or so is missing?

I've analysed it with testdisk and the 20gb is taken up by somehting called 'tracking.log' does this contain my old data?

woodchip 15:07 18 Feb 08

Most likely

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…