missing or corupt system file? cannot boot xp

second best 03:08 28 Oct 03

hi, been on all day no probs, nothing dloaded for a few days. restarted ust out of habit, i do it now and again, and i go tthe message cannot start xp pro missing or corrupt file system32\config\system. not necessarily in that order though :(.. anyway managed to just load the cd again as if i was going to repair it, yo uknow how it loads a load of stuff before the repair prompt, ,anyway, i just tried it after that and it's booted up, but would like to know what went wrong. any ideas?

AndyJ 08:01 28 Oct 03

No....maybe it's down to these solar flares they've been banging on about on the news !? <;-)

temp003 08:06 28 Oct 03

This error message is not uncommon with XP, and in many cases recurs from time to time after an apparent repair.

click here for an explanation.

temp003 08:11 28 Oct 03

Should add that I don't know how reliable that explanation is, but it's the first time I've discovered someone giving a possible reason for this rather common error with XP and w2k systems (more so with XP).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…