Missing or corrupt system file - XP

PA28 01:53 21 Aug 05

OK tonight I did something really dumb. Thought I'd go for a clean install of my Nvidia 77.77 driver. Went to Control Panel Add/Remove programs and removed Nvidia Drivers and Nvidia WDM drivers. Rebooted. Then tried to install 77.77 exe file which terminated partway as it couldn't find an existing installation. Now computer refuses to start with message that ..System32\Drivers\nvatabus.sys corrupted or missing. Suggests using recovery console to repair. I'm not usually happy at using recovery console, particularly when the file in question I cannot find on my XP installation disk. Would be grateful for any suggestions before trying a full recovery as I'm sure that there must be a simpler answer.

AndySD 04:09 21 Aug 05

How far does it get ...can you get into safe mode??

If not then (assuming that this is an NVidia chipset on the motherboard your only real option is to disable this driver in the recovery console and then when back in windows reinstall the nForce drivers. click here

AndySD 04:26 21 Aug 05

click here and look at answer 10

PA28 12:48 21 Aug 05

AndySD - thanks for that. Using the link provided I managed to download nvatabus.sys and copy it into the system files using Windows Recovery. This has got me up and running. There has been some damage along the line - the most obvious being that my video card is now running at x0 acceleration on the PCI bus rather than at x8 on the AGP bus. No AGP drivers appear to be present, though running my mobo installation disk indicates that all drivers have been loaded??? I'll have a look at my mobos website (Gigabyte GA-7N400) and see if I can find some drivers. If anyone's got any other ideas to force my Nvidia 5600 to use the AGP bus, I'd be grateful. In the meantime, thanks again for the tip which has got me up and running again.

PA28 21:56 21 Aug 05

Managed to get 8x AGP after reinstalling latest Nvidia driver. All now fine - thanks again AndySD. It's at a time like this that you realise how useful the floppy still is - it was the only drive from which I could load this system file in Windows Recovery Console as CD-ROM and flash drives appeared not to be available.....

AndySD 06:58 22 Aug 05

Glad to see your up and running, and yed I wont get rid of my floppy drive for a while yet because its so useful for fixing problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…