missing ntfs file

Newuser3605 21:52 22 Aug 09

Hello,
My computer won't start due to missing or corrupt file
system32\drivers\ntfs.exe
I cannot find this file on the XP PRO sp3 disk or on an old XP PRO disk. I was planning on just copying it into the right place.
By the way I have tried Safe Mode and Last Time It Started ok but nothing works. I also tried repair using chkdsk /r from C:
I tried running scanreg.exe /fix from C: but it says it's a bad command.

Has anyone any ideas? Thanks.

MAT ALAN 21:57 22 Aug 09

click here

might help...

birdface 22:23 22 Aug 09

Or here.
click here

I hope it is not the same click here as I could not open yours.

birdface 22:33 22 Aug 09

Maybe try the free version of Malwarebytes.

click here

birdface 12:44 23 Aug 09

Ignore last obviously you cannot run Malwarebytes if the computer will not start. Sorry.

ened 14:23 23 Aug 09

You havce tried safe mode but on the F8 button there is also the option to 'Boot to last known good configuration'.

Have you tried that?

DieSse 14:52 23 Aug 09

I don't have a file ntfs.exe in XP. There is an ntfs.sys - is that what you mean?

ntfs.exe looks like malware of some kind - see here

click here

Firstly - you say your system won't start - exactly what do you mean - totally can't get running at all?

One way to rid yourself of the infection is to see if you've got a friend who has a good anti-virus system, and put your hard drive intheir drive, as a slave - then run their AV and other anti-malware software on your drive to remove the infection.

DieSse 14:54 23 Aug 09

put your hard drive intheir drive

put your hard drive in their system - it should read - sorry.

Newuser3605 19:50 23 Aug 09

Many thanks for all the help.
I eventually managed to replace the missing file.
Now the problem is that when I click on an icon they all disappear leaving only the wallpaper. Then all come back without anything happening.
I have connected the hard disk as a slave and run Malwarebytes. Nothing found.
When trying to start in Safe Mode, I get a box giving me a choice of Safe Mode or System Restore. When either is selected nothing happens.
So, I now have a computer that starts and looks ok but does nothing when an icon is selected.
I have never come across anything this odd.
Any more suggestions? Cheers.

DieSse 19:58 23 Aug 09

I think you'll have to repair your installation, by doing a Windows repair re-install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…