Missing NDTRL Files - nearly a disaster - but why?

cocteau48 13:48 21 Oct 07

Having found a load of error messages in the event viewer - all relating to AVG7 (free) I decided to uninstall AVG and reinstall from scratch.
Used the uninstall option from within the progs own setup run and followed instructions to restart system to complete uninstallation.
Blue screen on restart - "login failed - system has been shut down."
Rebooted - black screen - NDTRL files missing - press F11 for recovery or crtl/alt/del to restart.
F11 does nothing and crtl/alt/del just goes round in circles. Also no response to pressing F8.
!#*& it!!!
Thank Gawd for Acronis - Reboots off Acronis boot disk - yesterdays image restored - sanity restored.(change of underwear narrowly averted)
But why ?- all I did was attempt to uninstall AVG - and as an aside why is my event viewer throwing up error messages against AVG every 15 minutes?
All theories/rants gratefully accepted.

sunny staines 15:04 21 Oct 07

i had ndtrl errors with xxclone a while back, had to reinstall everything. no longer use xx clone.

windows boot disc's do not help with these errors either.

something may have wanted to disable your avg - drive by web attack perhaps.

cocteau48 15:24 21 Oct 07

Good afternoon sunny staines.
I have been pursuing the event viewer error (which is every 5 mins not 15 as stated) and it is :
"AVG7.CC.plugins.CAvgCcPlugin plugin refresh failed :Error 0x80004005.
Googling for 0x80004005 takes you to Microsoft's help and support and refers to :"General Error Unable to Open Registry Key" and follows with instruction on how to alter the registry to allow permissions for the prog that is trying to access the web.
Getting a bit scary here - maybe should leave well alone - maybe it has got something to do with it being the free version of Avg - but it beginning to go over my head a wee bit!!

sunny staines 15:28 21 Oct 07

i would suggest running avg rootkit detector [free]to see what turns up also run gmer [free] for hijack/rootkit infection.

sunny staines 15:31 21 Oct 07

gmer link click here

cocteau48 16:18 21 Oct 07

Thanks sunny staines
Nothing untoward found running either of your progs.
Also tried Runscanner and nothing there either.
I will post on AVG forum and see what transpires there.

cocteau48 19:13 21 Oct 07

Problem solved.
Recommendation on the AVG forum was uninstall/reinstall which - I pointed out - I was somewhat afraid to do as it was doing that which has caused this mornings catastrophic reboot failure. They also suggested doing the reinstall with Spyware Terminator disabled.
However with no other solution in sight I have taken the plunge - no reboot issues this time and the event viewer error messages have also stopped.
Thanks to suuny staines for your input.

woodchip 19:23 21 Oct 07

You could Delete all the AGV that you can find With Search then Reload it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…